Saturday, September 5, 2009

Piano Lessons...?

Last Sunday after church the pastor came up to Paul and I to say hello. Then he looked at me and said, "Do you play any instruments?" I told him I play the guitar and the piano (and I purposely did NOT tell him that in high school I played the flute and the violin, because I thought the results could be disastrous). Then he said, "We have a need for piano players, can you come to our worship practice on Saturday at 4 to teach someone?" WELL...today was Saturday. Worship practice day. So I decided to show up a few minutes late (because I figured things always start late in Uganda). I was right. I waited. For an hour. By 5:00 a few people trickled through the door, and then after a warm-up and prayer time things got going around 5:30. The problem was, I don't know any Ugandan songs. And I'm not really a "pick it up on the spot no problem" kind of a person. Their regular piano player took charge and played all the songs I didn't know (I felt like a pretty pathetic "teacher" - I'm pretty sure that was a misunderstanding). So to make a looooong story short, I jumped in for Amazing Grace, played for about 5 minutes, and then left feeling very helpless but happy that the piano player they already have is doing just fine! I think I'll stick with being an audience member for now.

We (Karl, Arleen, Lizabee, Paul & I) have spent the past two mornings painting the ceilings in one of the Timothy Centre guesthouses. Painting ceilings here is much harder than it sounds. The builders make these ornate mouldings and edges in the corners (see photo below) that are pretty tough to maneuver around! But, being the great painters we are, we managed to complete all the ceilings in the first house - next week, onto the second house!

Interesting fact of the day:
When driving in Uganda, if a car in front of you has the right turn signal blinking, it means "don't pass me, there's a car coming the other way." A left turn signal means it's safe to pass. A honk either means move, hello, goodbye, speed up, slow down, or "I'm a taxi do you need a ride?"

Not surprising moment of the day:
Arriving at the photo studio to get passport photos taken, only to discover the power was out so we have to go back another day.

Funny moment of the day:
Using a pile of garbage as a landmark to direct someone to our house. (ie. "Turn right at the pile of garbage on the corner.")

Frustrating moment of the day:
Cooking dinner in the dark because the power was out, only to have it come back on the minute we finished eating.

Fun moment of the day:
It hasn't happened yet, but in a few minutes I'm going to FORCE Paul to play speed scrabble with me. If you haven't played it before, do it. Immediately.

Great moment of the week:
Talking to our two dear friends back home on the phone!

Enjoy some more recent photos below. :)


There's one example of those lovely, fancy corners that are SO much fun to paint!



Paul preparing the primer for our first day of painting last week.



Look at me go!



The good ol' Danish Cafe had a bbq last night. It was good food, good friends, and good times. That's Elaine and Una, our Irish friends!



Paul and Elaine



Lizabee and I - it's good to have friends!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Megan, thanks for taking the time to post pictures. I understand that it takes a really long time so I appreciate the sacrifice! they really help understand what's going on over there.

    praying for you guys as often as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it sounds like they run on the same watch as the mexicans over there. heheheh. Ya, thanks for ther pictures and the great updates. Have fun painting those fancy cielings. Any Hello Paul, you are both missed and in our prayers.
    Susi

    ReplyDelete