Monday, September 14, 2009

The Latest News

Well, I can’t say we’ve ever been in a situation like the one we were in over the past few days. I won’t go into too much detail (mostly because I don’t know all the facts), but I will say that central Uganda underwent a bit of political unrest, and we, being in central Uganda ourselves, were not far from it all. If you care to know the “news” side of things, check BBC. Our side of the story begins with a phone call from Lizabee on Thursday afternoon, telling us that they were stuck in gridlock traffic in Kampala because of riots that were going on in the city. Oblivious to the fact that there was anything wrong in Masaka, Paul got up on Friday morning and went to work as usual. On his way, he noticed that nothing was open in town, which was our first indication that it wasn’t a normal day. As the day went on and one thing led to another (protestors lighting fires, police trying to scare the rioters away by shooting their guns), we decided to leave Masaka and go to Kibaale, where we spent the night feeling safe and sound. Thankfully by Saturday afternoon we had heard that everything was fine and it was safe to come back to Masaka. Things are now back to normal, but it sure was an interesting couple of days!

Our drive to Kibaale was the “best” part of all. What usually takes about an hour took us almost four because of the fun detour we had to take. From my comfortable seat in the back of the truck (a security guard was sitting in the front) I enjoyed having my head smashed on the roof as we bounced through pothole city. I also loved the part where we ended up in the middle of a random, dried out field, with no road in sight. Thankfully, the Timothy Centre driver was leading the way in a truck in front of us, and eventually we pulled into Kibaale coming from the complete opposite direction than the way we usually go. I think I might take that route every time we go to Kibaale now. I just loved it so much! The feeling of not knowing where you are, and wondering if you are going to have to sleep in the middle of someone’s matooke plantation, is awesome!

Through it all, however, God protected us, and we learned to depend on him as we had to make some quick decisions. Thanks for keeping us, and Uganda, in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment