6 years ago
Friday, December 11, 2009
Workers Galore
Now that we live at the Timothy Centre, I get to see a variety of things out my window everyday as I go about my business: birds in the trees, dogs frolicking in the dirt, Paul walking by...and workers. Many, many workers. Forty of them to be exact. And right now, since they are working on a path leading up to the front door and a step outside the back door, the house is literally surrounded by men all day. If I sit in the living room, there they are. If I'm cooking in the kitchen, there they are. If I go to the bathroom I have to make sure the bedroom curtains are shut because there is no door to the bathroom yet - only a clear line of vision from the bedroom window to the toilet. But the best part of all is the sound of the extremely loud radio right outside (something about loudness really appeals to Ugandans). You never know what you might hear coming out of that radio - Mariah Carey remix Christmas songs...Ugandan pop music...announcers that sing along with the songs while they're playing...and phone conversations that I can't understand because they're in Luganda (but somehow all sound the same, like "Blahdeblah...mmmm...blah blah....mmmmm...blah...mmmm"). (Something about "mmm" also really appeals to Ugandans). It's never quiet when the workers are around, but it always makes for some good entertainment - and I'm sure they say the same about me as they look inside the house and see me sweep 15 times a day, pull things out of the oven, and read on the couch. If only I could understand what they're saying...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment