Monday, November 9, 2009

November is Hot in Uganda

I thought I'd be able to hold off on an update until we were moved into our new house at the Timothy Centre. I'd call the entry, "Our New House!" and post pictures of us all settled in, with smiles on our faces, clothes in their drawers, and curtains hung. But then I realized that if I waited that long people would either think we're dead or get bored of our blog's lack of activity and never read it again. I don't like either of these options, mostly because a) we're not dead, and b) I thrive on writing blog entries. So you will get to read the "Our New House!" entry when we actually move in, which Paul predicts will be in two weeks. In the meantime, the final touches are really coming together now - solar power, water heaters, and septic tank. Then comes a massive clean-out, and finally we can start putting furniture in! It's been quite a process, especially for Paul, but it'll be worth it all when we're settled in.

While Paul had an ultra-busy week, I had a semi-busy week. I made a couple trips to Kibaale, led an English workshop for the Kibaale teachers, visited a babies' home, attended a Christian Schools Association meeting, and made a trip to Kampala with Paul.

While in Kampala I was browsing through our favourite store, Banana Boat, while I waited for Paul to run some errands. Just as I was deciding which scent of soap I preferred (lemongrass? basil?), Paul phoned to tell me the police were taking him to court for answering his cell phone while driving. AH! I panicked and had visions of Paul being dragged away to Ugandan prison while I was stuck at Banana Boat for the rest of my life. Thankfully they let him go rather than take him to court - it could have made for a dramatic story, but I'll settle for mundane over dramatic any day, especially while in Uganda.

Although this all sounds very busy and exciting, I seem to have a surprising amount of downtime! But I'm learning that the plus side of that is the chance to slow down - something that doesn't happen often enough at home - and do things that I always wished I would do more of at home but never had the time. (E.g. Spend time with God...grow a garden...learn how to cook things...hang out with my hubby...read books...write a blog...sew a dress!) On the downside, I will admit to feeling a bit homesick recently, but all the more reason to depend on God whatever the circumstances! I guess that's a worthwhile lesson to learn. :)

Stay tuned for upcoming entries on our new house, my new job, our new Christmas tree, Christmas baking festivities, and other exciting living-in-Uganda topics.

Now please go have a tall half-sweet non-fat extra-hot with whip peppermint mocha for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment