Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gross Things

What’s worse than a marabou stork?


A dead marabou stork. Yes, that’s right. Unfortunately, (or maybe thankfully), I didn’t have my camera on me so I couldn’t take a picture, but the other day just outside the post office I spotted a dead stork in the grass. As I’ve mentioned in the past, storks are the ugliest and grosses birds alive, and now I will add that they are even uglier and grosser when they’re dead. The sickest part about the whole situation was when Arleen commented that “the rest of the storks will probably come down and eat the dead one.” And after doing some research of my own, I discovered that it's true: they eat just about any animal, dead or alive. Ew. As if eating garbage and looking disgusting wasn’t bad enough.

Interesting stork facts:

  • they stand up to 1.5 m tall
  • they weigh up to 9 kg
  • wingspan up to 2.9 m
  • often found in fishing villages, slaughterhouses, and rubbish dumps
Okay, that's enough. If you want more gruesome details, look here. I dare you.

But I suppose storks are part of what give Uganda its character and charm…along with cockroaches, snakes, and exploding lizards.

No comments:

Post a Comment