On Tuesday Paul and I drove up to Kampala in the morning so that we could get a bunch of stuff done - he had a long list of things to do for TC, and I did some shopping for our guesthouse and the team we have arriving next week. While choosing wall hangings, lampshades and other decor for the guesthouses was fun (more on that another day), shopping is not my idea of a relaxing activity, and I was exhausted at the end of the day - ready for bed at 7. Because I'm a lame-o.
But then, Paul had the brilliant idea of trying out a new (to us) restaurant only a few minutes away from where we were staying. It. Was. So. Good. A Belgian restaurant with flowers, candles, and live Jazz music in the corner. I'm not much of a steak person, but we had steak, and it made my night (which apparently doesn't take much). And it was less than half the price of that restaurant at home that starts with K and rhymes with Peg. The unfortunate part was that I was enjoying my evening so much I forgot to take pictures. But just trust me - it was pretty darn nice! AND to top it all off...ice-cream for dessert. I think that is my new favourite place in Kampala. Thank goodness we opted not to go to bed at 7!
The next morning I had another taste of the "high life" at the Kibira Club gym. Who knew I would be so excited for treadmills and stationary bikes?! For the past few weeks I've been jogging on the road outside the Timothy Centre - which is fine, but it's dirt and I spend more time dodging potholes than I do actually running. The treadmill was a glorious step up, and I ran on it as long as my legs would possibly last (which I am feeling today, but it was worth it).
Somehow, even with Kampala's luxuries, I'm always happy to get out of the city and come back to Masaka and its bumpy dirt roads and humble Ten Tables restaurant. I guess there's no place like "home."
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment