Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bulldozers, Bees, and Carrots

Because our purpose for being here really is to build a school, it only makes sense that this month we start preparing for building! (And by "we" I mean "Paul." I've been doing other things, including planning teacher workshops and baking cookies, but not including taking care of my garden. See photo at the end of this post). The Timothy Girls' College officially opens a year from now - January 2011. Within the next year we need to build classrooms, dormitories, teacher housing, administration offices, a kitchen, a dining hall, etc. Below is the start of the land-clearing and grading process. And when I say start, I mean start. The little bulldozer decided to die today (for the third time in three days), so the process might take some time!


The other Timothy Centre project that has taken off recently is the bee project. Since we're not bee-keepers - I know, shocking - we don't deal directly with the bees. But the hives are on our property, and our bee guy, Lester, says there is honey ready to be extracted! This will hopefully become an income-generating resource for the Timothy Centre down the line.

Farming is also a major aspect of the Timothy Centre development, and the crops that have been planted (such as maize, which is like corn but not sweet) are doing well.

And of all the things that I planted in my sorry little garden, carrots are the only things still thriving. Apparently carrots do well without being taken care of for weeks on end. I'm a bad, bad gardener. (Can you blame me? Look at that rocky soil! Poor little veggies).

No comments:

Post a Comment