Thursday, August 6, 2009

Boda Boda

Blue lizard in the bush


Praying mantis on our gate

The lovely surprise we found in our sink!

These pictures took about 8 million years to upload, so I'll do some more another day! But as you can see there is no shortage of things that crawl to keep us on our toes!

I (Megan) had my first experience with a boda boda (motorcycle taxi) last week. The second you step out onto the street there is no shortage of boda drivers offering to take you wherever you need to go (going for a walk is a difficult concept for them to grasp!) This particular day I needed to go to the store quickly and come straight home. SO...I hopped on the back of a boda and away we went! No helmet + potholes + driver who speaks no English + 500 shillings (25 cents) = pretty fun! Going around Masaka is pretty tame - I have yet to try it in Kampala! (Paul's the brave one...he tried it already).

It's amazing the things a boda can hold as it's driving down the street. We've seen 5 people on one...huge bunches of matoke...a door...big steel bars...furniture...you name it, a boda can carry it!

This week Paul has continued to be busy at the Timothy Centre. Soon the tiling and painting of the one-bedroom duplex should begin, along with installation of showers, sinks, toilets, etc. Paul is hopeful that things will be done on time, but he also says there is still lots of work to be done.

I have also been busy this week, working on some teaching materials for Kibaale, as well as organizing a whole bunch of household items that were sent from home for the Timothy Centre. So now our living room is not only full of toilets, sinks, tiles, and showers, it is also full of pots, pans, towels, blankets, sheets, pillows, and cutlery! Now I need to figure out what else needs to be bought so that each unit is complete and ready to be lived in.

Today we are driving out to Kibaale for a bbq tonight. It will be nice to spend time with everyone there as it gets a bit lonely being by ourselves most of the time! We finally have internet at our house, and although it is slow, it will be easier to keep in touch now. Feel free to email! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment