For the past I-don't-know-how-long-but-pretty-long-time I have been busy preparing all the details for a team of 18 people coming to Kibaale/Timothy Centre from Pacific Academy! On Sunday morning the first group of 9 people arrived in Entebbe, and Paul and I picked them up and brought them down to Kibaale - the rest of the team arrives later this week, some of which will be spending their time at the Timothy Centre. Hosting teams is a lot of work...doing grocery shopping, making beds, organizing activities, etc...but it is also rewarding, and a lot of fun!
The group spent their first day meeting people as they toured Kibaale and figured out what areas they will be involved in. Some will work in the clinic, some in the sponsorship office, some doing maintenance projects, and some in the school. It will be a busy few weeks of leading devotions, building a mud hut, teaching, taking school photos, helping the students make Christmas crafts to send to their sponsors (yup, Christmas already!), speaking in chapel, painting the new student dining hall, etc. etc. etc.
Fran, Margo, Sam, Elly and Kayla
Touring the vocational school
Ken & Carina's 4-year-old twin girls got a lot of attention from the catering class!

Among the team members that have arrived are the Drisners - the family that will be moving to the Timothy Centre in September to be the field directors of both our projects. They lived in Kibaale for 4 years back in the day, and to say they were excited to be back is a huge understatement! It was so great watching Carina connect with all her old friends and former students who are now in various leadership positions. (It was also embarrassing to hear her speak a crazy amount of Luganda and realize that I have definitely failed in the language-learning department.)

Welcome to Uganda, team! We're looking forward to having you here over the next 3 weeks.





Ok, I would hardly say you failed at language-learning!!! You just chose to invest yourself elsewhere, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! I spent the first half of our time in Mali attempting to learn Bambara before choosing to invest elsewhere, and feel now like that was wasted time. So good for you for choosing to work in English right from the beginning!
ReplyDelete