I always hesitate to blog about political problems because they always come off sounding worse to those that aren't actually here. But it's all over the news, so you may as well read about it here too! I won't pretend to understand the whole situation, but the long and short of it is that Besigye (the leader of the opposition party) has been scheduling a "walk to work campaign" over the past few weeks that has taken place every Monday and Thursday (so we've simply learned to avoid town on those 2 days of the week). Besigye and his supporters are protesting the rising prices of fuel and other goods in Uganda and blaming the current government (Museveni) for spending money foolishly. In response to the campaign the police have stepped in and arrested Besigye multiple times, which has caused the chaos to escalate. That's about all I understand and can explain! I would make a bad journalist.
Thankfully, we're very safe where we live and we don't feel worried at all. But having to stay out of Kampala is a bit of a disappointment, and now I am forced to get creative with the food I have in the cupboard. Hmm...popcorn and canned tomatoes for dinner?
I am now going to read about the Royal Wedding and pretend that reading about it is just as exciting as watching it.
I'm so glad you guys got the news before you got to Kampala! Hopefully things will settle down soon and you'll be able to head to the big city to get your much needed supplies. Hugs to you both!
ReplyDelete