Sunday, March 13, 2011

Grand Opening

Yesterday we had our long anticipated Timothy Girls College grand opening! The day was a wonderful success. We hosted around 350 people - everyone from our workers to our Canadian board members.


Giant site plan, drawn by yours truly


"Dedicated to the youth of Uganda and the glory of God."



The students (all 21 of them now!) performed a couple songs in honour of the day. The 5 newest girls had less than a day to learn the music, but they did a fantastic job! I love these girls, they're so sweet!




The first student to register on the opening day was Esther, and she got up and made a speech about how excited she is to be the first pioneer of the school. "I'm just so happy to be here" was repeated quite a few times!

Other speeches were made, and at the end of the program the board members dedicated the dining hall to Ray Sutton (our director) and his wife Pat, in recognition of their vision for Christian education in Africa. The dining hall is now appropriately called "Sutton Hall."



After the program there was a delicious lunch, some not-super-delicious-but-not-too-bad cake, and a tour of the new campus with the board members.





Wearing our locally made Ugandan outfits in honour of the day!
Side note: which one's pregnant? Any guesses? Answer coming next time...

Cutting the ribbon - it's official!

It was a special day, seeing the hard work of so many people come to fruition. Gotta say, I'm so proud of Paul!

*Photo credit to our good friend and photographer Peter Lorenzen!

3 comments:

  1. So exciting! What a great celebration and what an accomplishment that the school is now OPEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that this day has finally come! What a huge accomplishment this is for Paul and the workers. It's very exciting to look back at the pictures I took of the workers pouring the floor for the dormitory and know that now there are girls living there and attending school. Wish we could have been there for the celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's you! It's you! YOU'RE the pregnant one! (I had narrowed it down already!) :) YAY! YAY! YAY!

    ReplyDelete